Lascaux cave was discovered in 1940 by four teenagers from Périgord. After the war, Lascaux was open to the public until its closure in 1963. The large numbers of visitors and the carbon gases resulting from human respiration was beginning to cause degradation to the cave’s prehistoric paintings.
The original Lascaux is now closed. In order to let the public see these prehistoric masterpieces, an exact reconstruction of the site was created (same paintings, same pigments, same techniques), and this is Lascaux II.
The two reconstructed galleries are the Salle des Taureaux and the Diverticule Axial, which contain 90% of Lascaux’s paintings: horses, aurochs, deer, ibex and a bear. The colours used make the overall effect vivid and consistent.
Lascaux 4, the (almost) complete reproduction of the of the Lascaux cave, was opened to the public on 15 December 2016.